Worship Services

Sunday Morning
8:15am & 10:45am
Sunday Evening 5:30pm
Wednesday Night 6:30pm

Bible Classes
Sunday 9:30am

Map / Directions

Blog Navigation

PDF Print E-mail

Monday, April 03, 2006

Living in the Word

I've been working on a term paper for my grad school class, and as they tend to do, the subject matter for this semester's paper keeps seeping slowly into the other structures of my life, popping up in the most unuusal papers. It comes up in conversation, in classes, during worship, and in my mind during a thousand moments in each day. The great thing is, this paper's subject is simply a short passage od scripture, 1 Peter 2:1-3. Three simple verses, nothing particulalry complex about them, and although the research process is bringing up lots of interesting questions, that's not my main point here. Mainly what I want to note here on the blog is the way that living with a bit of scripture for a while can really shape the way you see things in the world. The passage I'm working on says :

"Having put off every evil, and every deceit, hypocricies, envies, and all slanders, crave true spiritual milk like newborn babies, so that by it you may grow into salvation, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good." (my translation)

So over the past couple of weeks I keep wondering, "Is this 'true' milk?" or about the kinds of hypocrisies that I'm holding on to in my life. I've thought about ways that I've found God to be tasty, and what it means to grow into salvation. Most of all I keep checking back to the word crave. That's a good word.

Finally, I want to really encourage you to post a thought. I think I'm going to make a separate post about how to do that, but here I want to suggest that if you have a passage that's been running through your mind lately, let us hear a little about it. Or maybe those words from I peter caught your eye, and you have a thought tho share on that regard, too.
Thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like talking about spiritual matters on this blog--that is kind of what I was expecting to see. I have had this scripture on my mind lately:
2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 “My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why for Christ’s sake I delight in weakness, in insults, in hardship, in persecution, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

stevepvc said...

In a surprising turn of events, I found out thursday that the other term paper I have for this semester was due...Friday! Thus I had to quickly abandon thinking about the I peter passage for a little while. The good side is, now that paper is out of my way and I can jump back in to the Peter material without having the other hanging over my head.

The last two days, I've lived in Mark 1:1-34. I think I may post something on that on Monday.

lovingtheworld.png
Pleasant Valley Church of Christ| 10900 Rodney Parham Road |Little Rock, AR 72212
Phone: (501) 225-5818 | Fax: (501) 225-3689
Site Content 2002-2009 Pleasant Valley Church of Christ
Site Issues? Contact Us.
Web design and hosting by Web-Jive
RocketTheme Joomla Templates