Worship Services

Sunday Morning
8:15am & 10:45am
Sunday Evening 5:30pm
Wednesday Night 6:30pm

Bible Classes
Sunday 9:30am

Map / Directions

Blog Navigation

PDF Print E-mail

Monday, April 03, 2006

Conversation

As we envisioned this blog, we thought it would be a great place for us to have a running conversation as a church family, and perhaps with some in other communities as well. I have to admit a little disappointment, though.

From conversations, and emails, it seems that a good number of people are reading the blog, but a quick scan shows that very few are posting...now my friends, that makes for a one-sided conversation! That might be okay, but I just wanted to say that it wasn't exactly what we were hoping for.

I figure that there may be three reasons why it's happening this way. First, the posts might just stink, so that there isn't really anything to post about. In this case fair enough. If you have suggestions about post topics you'd like to see, let us know, and we'll get something up.

Secondly, you might be intimidated about posting online, in which case I would really like to encourage you to just go for it! Believe me, we would love to see what you have to say! Don't think of this too formally, like you're posting your official position on matters...it's just a conversation! It's even okay if you misspell stuff. Watch, just to make you feel more comfortable, I'm going to misspell a word. "mountian." See, nobody assaulted me! It's just fine. So, please don't be intimidated, rise up over your fears and post a comment. Comment on this particular thread, just to prove to yourself and to me that you can.

Finally, if you're new to the game, it might eb a little confusing how it works. Here's what you do: click on the place below where it says: "3 comments" (or whatever the number is..."1 comment" etc.) It'll take you to a page that will let you see the other comments people have already made. Read through those to get a sense of the conversation, then at the bottom click where it says, "Post a Comment". That will give you a page with box in which to write your comment, a place to identify yourself, and a random word verification (that helps keep people from posting blog spam...that doesn't mean anything to you except that you need to type the word you see in the blank). You don't have to have a blogger account to post.

Okay, if you have a different reason than the three above, we have a dilemna. I could suggest that you post a comment about your different reason, but that would be illogical, since your reason would keep you from doing that. But, if you find yourself in one of the above categories, then please let me encourage you write one comment here, even if it is meaningless, so that we can get this conversation going.

-Steven Hovater (stevepvc)

9 comments:

stevepvc said...

good job...now, hit post a comment below to leave your own thoughts!

mitch said...

Mad props, Steven, on encouraging readers to post comments. And thanks for the slang lesson a while back. ;)

Anonymous said...

I have checked the blogs every day since inception. I have to agree with your conclusion that the posts need
more dynamics (note I did not agree that they stink LOL). I have been disappointed that there wasn't something new to read every day and let's face it, to spark posting there
has to be strong feelings about the subject. Think about the classes you've been in where every hand is up
and the moderator can scarcely keep them in check; in that discussion there was participation because the
subject hit them where they live.

Just a thought...
Donna Ford

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with my long time friend, Donna Ford! And I could not have said it better. Thanks, Donna! I'll continue to check daily. It is a great idea! Laura

stevepvc said...

now we're rolling! Appreciate the comments ladies! You see, posting a comment on a blog is kind of like saying amen to a preacher, which is kind of like saying "sick 'em" to a bulldog. I hear a couple of things so far: posts more often and with a bit more push.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Steven. I can relate to your thoughts so much. Please keep writing here. I promise to comment for you.
If I weren't so shy, I'd leave my name. :-)

Anonymous said...

Steve, I must admit to checking out the postings here frequently and enjoying them but never posting up til now. I'll try to do better in the future. I have found them amusing and worthwhile though. I hope you all will continue posting and giving us food for thought.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

And this is why I suggest that we move this blog to more of a message board format. That way, a church member can start a conversation or post and not be at the mercy of simply commenting to one of the already started discussions. The blogs are generally always going to be one sided because they are always going to be started by a minister. Give the members of the church the ability to start the discussions and watch the post count soar.

Anonymous said...

Cheap WOW GOld, Please look here
Buy wow GoLd,
World of Warcraft WOw golD and woW gOld money,
wOw Gold.Acquista WOw gold oro,
wow goldSoldi, WOw GOld to each loyal and
woW goLD siamo uno dei miglioriWoW gold which is very cheap.WOw gold

lovingtheworld.png
Pleasant Valley Church of Christ| 10900 Rodney Parham Road |Little Rock, AR 72212
Phone: (501) 225-5818 | Fax: (501) 225-3689
Site Content 2002-2009 Pleasant Valley Church of Christ
Site Issues? Contact Us.
Web design and hosting by Web-Jive
RocketTheme Joomla Templates